Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Updates?

Well, it has been pretty quiet since the 400 repeat day that Chris hosted? Some people we haven't heard from at all!! I saw many people at the Run REv last night but did not have a chance to speak to most people.

How are the workouts going?  Are you getting many of them in? Is the plan being used (at least minimally) to move you from "same old, same old" you have been doing before this?

I'm working on the remainder of the calendars now. The first week of May I will schedule as a recovery week leading up to the Cinco race for those that are doing that. If you are not dong the race, then it is still ok to have a recovery week if you've spent the last 4 weeks working hard!!

Finally, ... a quote from a favorite song of mine, " If you're afraid to fly, then I guess you never will" . I see this phrase as having a parallel meaning to running. So,.... Don't be afraid to fly! The first person that comments on this post with the title of the song,..... I will cover your June 16th registration.

Start flying!! Summer and warmer weather is just around the corner.

5 comments:

  1. "It's the Only One You've Got" Three Doors Down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is! Good job!.... I hope you are making progress with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think I am. My long run pace Saturday was the best in a long time. I'm pre-registered for the Cinco Saturday. Any suggestions on a target pace for 5 miles? This may be a silly question, so I'll apologize in advance if so, but what is the difference between 2 sets of 4 x 400 and 8 x 400? Rest between sets? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the assumption is that you are in better shape for the 5 miler than you were for the 5k,..... I'd be prone to go out at or close to my previous 5k pace ( you have an extra 1.9 miles to cover). You can always adjust as the race progresses. If it feels easy at 3 miles in, then adjust. If you are laboring at that point, your body will force the adjustment on you!!

      Not a silly question at all. The subtlety is that 2 sets of 4 x400m would have you taking a full recovery between the sets. The 8x400m would be continuous with the same recovery after each 400m and no large rest period between interval number 4 and 5.

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo Tracey! Congrats on answering the riddle and a great question about repeats as well! When can the group meet to do more repeats at WMF?

      ~Chris Dolan

      Delete